"It is at the edge of a petal that love waits.
-William Carlos Williams quotes
(American Poet, 1883-1963)



All "Rose Petals from Heaven" copywrite graphics are for

~ Personal Use Only ~

Become a follower and use them on your blogs.

©2010-2025 All rights reserved.

" Rose Petals from Heaven's " Friends :

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Vintage Jar of Satin

This is a jar from my cranberry glass collection.




My cranberry glass collection has various patterns,




textures, and shapes with one thing in common,




the rich and lucious color of the depth of pink that to me




is the reason why I began collecting the glass in the first place.




Since this piece is not marked in any way,




I can only guess it was manufactured somewhere around 1880 to the turn of the century.




It has a satin finish and a ribbed pattern.




Because of the pontil mark in the above photograph, I can say it was made by hand.




This type of glass is also known as overlay.  I know this because the inside of the jar is white.

I am facinated by the perfect pattern resulting from someones glassforming skills and how they used layers of glass to achieve the various colors and patterns of each piece.

3 comments:

Jacqui said...

Beautiful post Mo, the colours are gorgeous!!

Mariette's Back to Basics said...

Dearest Mo,

Finally I caught up on reading other blogs... You had some very nice posts. Love the rose and the rose petals with the desserts. My favorite too. And your Hawaii vacation must have been a dream; great for photo-taking.

You have quite a collection of very beautiful cranberry glass!

Lots of love,

Mariette

Plush Possum Studio said...

How exquisite! Such a lovely feeling, knowing something's been made by hand, and not machine. Your words and pictures sing to each viewer of peace and tranquility. You have my rapt attention each time. Thank you again for all this loveliness.
Rose